Websites provide customers with access to your company 24/7. Today a website is an intrinsic element of a company’s marketing mix and it’s essential to get it right.
These are our 7 top tips for upgrading your website.
1. Decide your objectives
- What do you want to get out of your website?
- To generate leads
- To reassure existing customers
- To check stock
- To enable customers to buy online?
- Before you review your website, decide what you need.
2. Prepare your content
- Getting noticed in a crowded world has become more challenging and fighting your way up the search engine ladder can be tough.
- It starts with great content.
- Content that’s relevant and recent:
- relevant to people searching for your products or services
- recent enough to attract the search engines.
3. Less is more
- Too much information on a website can lead a potential customer to make a negative decision about your business instead of picking up the telephone and calling you.
- Look at alternatives to lengthy text articles.
- Can you add a YouTube video?
- Or a PowerPoint presentation?
- Or a series of great photos?
4. Looking good
- Design matters when we encounter so many brands on a daily basis but ease of use is more important!
- A great looking site that is difficult to navigate is likely to lose more visitors than a less attractive, but easy to use site.
5. Don’t forget the construction
- Many sites use flash or other plug-ins, but this isn’t available for Apple iPad and mobile phone users.
- Sites using this technology may need a re-think.
6. Make sites search engine friendly
- There are many simple tasks from creating good ALT tags and adding appropriate Title text, to updating content and finding suitable sites with which to connect.
- Get the construction right from the start.
7. Link it all together
- If you’re using YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter or blogs, don’t forget to tell your visitors to explore these sites too!